AirBolt Smart Lock Review 2021 – Is It That Good?
Every person’s worst nightmare is losing their belongings, nothing worse than having something valuable stolen from a checked piece of luggage. AirBolt Smart Lock is the answer to your problem.
If you are a traveller or your work requires outstation meetings, When you’re out on a trip, the First thing you want to worry about is your luggage. Agree? It definitely dampens the mood of the trip, because you won’t want to check your belongings. constantly.you are on a trip, not for looking after your luggage. if you are really looking for something that can keep your luggage/belongings safe then AirBolt can be your best friend. it is as smart as you are.
Even when you’re not on vacation, a simple commutation to the office or gym or park can result in you worrying about your locker or bag.
Fortunately, nothing is impossible in this day and age. In this AirBolt review, we’ll discuss how you can use a smart lock that you can control using the free app.
In this review, we’ll talk about how the device works, how much it costs, then compare the AirBolt to similar products.
The winner of the 2017 Goog Design Award, this smart travel device will simplify your life and bring you peace-of-mind. All this with only the touch of a button. It can do a lot of things like:
- It can tell you the last known location of your luggage, backpack, and other valuables.
- Airbolt can alert you if someone tries stealing your bags.
- It will keep a log every time someone opens it, and for how long it stayed open.
- Using only your phone you could lock/unlock dozens of locks – one each for your gym locker, storage shed, briefcase, bike lock, luggage, and more.
- No more need to store and use keys, remember combos, or fumble with tiny digit tumblers again.
Now without jumping to any conclusion whether it is good or bad. If you should buy it or now, let’s discuss all the details about Airbolt.
What is AirBolt Smart Travel Lock?
AirBolt Smart Lock is an advanced and smart lock that keeps your things safe during travels or in day to day life commutation. what people love about AirBolt Smart Lock is the lack of traditional locking mechanisms.
AirBolt is the most advanced smart lock. .
Smart Lock is a sophisticated as well as smart lock that keeps your things safe throughout journeys or in daily life commutation. what individuals enjoy about AirBolt Smart Lock is the absence of conventional locking mechanisms.
No more need any number combinations or a key to carry all the time in your pocket to unlock the AirBolt Smart Lock, instead, you will use your smartphone as you use for all the today’s generation things. That’s right, the system completely removes the need for memorizing combinations or keeping the key.
AirBolt Smart Lock works with Bluetooth and directly connects with your smartphone to secure and unlock the lock.
We always keep our smartphones with us almost all the time, and AirBolt is also chock full of smart features that will help you keep your stuff secure.
You have to download the free app on the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store for using it. It is compatible with the suitcase, backpack, gym bag, purse, briefcase, locker, and door — basically, anything used for storage. Plus, the best thing about AirBolt lock is it works as a tracker too so you can locate your bags in case you forget where have you put. It’s a worthy investment not just for people who travel a lot but for anyone who wants to keep their valuables safe.
AirBolt Smart Lock Features
Of course, this wouldn’t be a genuine AirBolt review until we are trying it ourselves. here are the features what I love about it when I tried AirBolt
- Easy phone access – One of the problems that keeping the keychain. I currently have different sets of keys for the house, the car, and the motorcycle and few old keys too. it wastes my time to just figure out which key fits in which keyhole. And I don’t want more set of keys. Fortunately, AirBolt doesn’t require keys. It can be accessed and controlled using the free mobile app. I’m less likely to lose it since I always have my phone with me. And if anything does happen to my phone, I have a backup code with me.
- One app, multiple locks – A lock for my suitcase? Check. One for my gym locker? Check. One for my backpack? Check. No matter how many of these luggage locks I have, with the help of AirBolt, I can keep track of them all in just one app. No need to get confused with the keys and their locks.
- Proximity alert – you must surprise to know that this Bluetooth lock also features like an alarm in case someone tries to walk away with your belongings. Thankfully, it didn’t happen to me in real life, but I tested it out to see how it works it. The alarm works very well and it sounded as I tested it by directing someone to take my bag and walk away.
- Share access with friends or family – Generally traditional locks come with two keys. no matter how many people want to use it. In a big family it traditional locks create problem in sharing keys with all. No problem! AirBolt user access can be granted no matter where you are in the world with family or close friend if needed. You can configure the security settings and permissions through the app.
- AES 128-bit encryption – if your friends says that Bluetooth locks easily can be hacked then It’s true, but this Bluetooth lock is encrypted with AES 128-bit encryption. It’s similar to what banking institutions use to guard their money and data. If banks use it to guard money, then you can definitely trust it to guard your suitcase.
- TSA approved All the fancy travel padlocks in the world would be useless if it’s not accepted by the TSA. but you don’t have to worry about, because AirBolt is approved by the TSA. TSA has a unique key that will allow them to open your luggage.
- Unlocking notifications – It notifies you whenever your smart travel padlock is opened, how long it was unlocked, as well as the location of where it was unlocked. You can totally track it no matter where it lands and if anyone messes with it. Cool, right?
- Rechargeable battery It doesn’t require too much power to function. This Bluetooth lock has a rechargeable battery that you only have to charge once a year. It comes with a micro USB cable when you buy it so you can charge it anywhere.
I definitely had a great time with this AirBolt travel lock review. I used it to with my suitcase as I went for a short trip with friends and it worked without any mishaps. I just fell in love with it. It would be a great gift to family members and friends because it’s worth every buck.
Here’s a summary of AirBolt’s Benefits
- Unlocks with Phone (No Keys!): The AirBolt is a Bluetooth enabled travel lock so you’ll never need to worry about losing your combinations or keys again.
- Long-Lasting Battery: AirBolt’s battery life is astoundingly long despite the fact the device remains on constantly. Dependent upon how often you travel or use the device, you may only need to charge it once a year. It comes with a micro USB cable.
- Weather Resistant: This stroke of genius has been manufactured using tough and weather-resistant material, which explains its impressive durability. Rainfall is not a problem.
- 100% TSA accepted: The AirBolt is officially TSA approved and meets all relevant legislative requirements for the device to be flight-ready. AirBolt also comes with a timed Airplane mode that allows you to turn off the BT transmitter for a specific amount of time amidst flights.
- Shared Access: you can grant access to everyone else so you won’t be the only person managing the luggage situation. If something shady happens, you can always check the lock’s access history within the app to find out who the culprit is.
- Extremely Secure: The AirBolt utilizes a state-of-the-art Bluetooth LE chipset and is secured using AES 128-bit industry-leading encryption which provides ample security. When you unlock the device from your mobile phone, it will relock itself after a specified period of time if you do not remove it, preventing accidental unlocking. Moreover, In fact, the device won the 2017 Good Design Awards in Australia thanks to its hard to beat aesthetic appeal. Welcome to the future, my friend!
How Does AirBolt Work?
You just have to pair the lock with your smartphone via Bluetooth and that helps the lock identify original owner and lock.
There is also a mandatory companion app that gives you full control over the AirBolt Smart Lock. There is a small setup that you need to go through before the smart lock starts recognizing your device as the “owner” device and unlocks accordingly.
After receiving your AirBolt, you can download an app completely free that gives you full access to all of the lock’s features. and that is too easy to use.
The second step is pairing your Airbolt lock to your phone via a Bluetooth connection.
Finally, you can simply lock up your personal belongings and be able to control whether it turns lock or unlocks virtually anywhere.
The lock has an LED light that indicates whether the lock is paired or not with a Bluetooth. This makes the connecting and reconnecting process much simpler.
AirBolt Smart Lock Review – Packaging
Pros and Cons
AirBolt Smart Lock Review – Design & Features
AirBolt is 55mm wide and 16mm thick, in order to make it a compact smart lock that you’d want to use. With a die-cast Zinc body along with a sturdy stainless steel rope, the AirBolt is solid and durable.
Let’s get the basic, essential features covered. AirBolt is basically a small lock that you can attach to your luggage or bags (though not necessarily limited to bags and such) and can then be unlocked with your phone.
The idea is that you don’t need to use those tiny keys that tend to go missing when you need them or using padlock with key combinations that you’d probably forget one day. AirBolt connects to your phone via Bluetooth, and that means it needs to have a built-in battery to power that.
How To Setting up AirBolt?
Setting up AirBolt is pretty straightforward. Simply download the application from App Store or Play Store, install it in your phone, and open it to sign up for an account.
Once you’ve created the account, you need to set up the device by pairing it with your handset. To do this, hold both the left and right buttons on your AirBolt for a few seconds to wake it up and follow the prompts.
AirBolt will require you to turn on your phone’s Bluetooth signal so the device can pair and connect to your phone automatically.
Crowdsourced Location Tracking
In case you’re wondering what this is. Just like the name, this form of location tracking relies on the community. The action is opportunistic and requires other AirBolt apps to initiate reporting the location. The AirBolt is not a homing beacon, it will not transmit a signal therefore it cannot be tracked the way a traditional GPS radio would track.
Example: The scenario is that you have already locked your bag with the AirBolt and perhaps it ends up at baggage pick up in a different terminal or airport altogether. Another AirBolt user walks by and their app automatically picks up the presence of the AirBolt lock. Their app then reports the location anonymously to the AirBolt Crowdsourced location tracking system. The system privately matches the IDs and will reflect where the last known location was in your app. If you mark your bag as “lost” you’ll receive a notification of it’s last known whereabouts if it gets reported.
Your AirBolt has a light on it that will emit various colours at varying rates depending on what it’s trying to tell you. Here are a few of those light-based notifications:
- Two green flashes: Device is unlocked
- Steady red flash: Battery is low
- Quick yellow flashes: Phone isn’t communicating with a device
Smartphone Accessibility: The biggest problem generally people feel in using traditional locks is the key. You have to keep it with you at all times. AirBolt Smart Lock has negated that by providing smartphone-based access to the lock which is highly convenient. You don’t need keep a bulky keychain.
Proximity Sensing: AirBolt Smart Lock features a Bluetooth based alarm system that alerts you and everyone around in case someone tries to run away with your stuff. While we never needed this feature in real life, we did test it out in the office by moving away from the lock. It works wonderfully well and is highly accurate. The alarm was sharp and could be heard over the hustle and bustle of an airport and train station. However, we highly recommend that you train your ears by listening to it once yourself by manually triggering it. This is a nifty feature that will give you an additional sense of security.
Just One App: Usually when people travel, they take multiple bags. And with multiple bags, come multiple locks. Sure you may not have the AirBolt Smart Lock on every bag you take with your but chances are you will at least have two if multiple people are traveling. However, you will only need just one AirBolt app to unlock multiple locks making it highly convenient.
Great Encryption: AirBolt uses AES 128 bit encryption which is used by banks to safeguard money and data. So even though anything can be cracked, the solid encryption makes it nearly impossible to crack, especially given the limited time your luggage will be at one place. If banks are all good with this type of encryption, you should also be golden.
Rechargeable: The lock might have a lot of features, but it doesn’t need a lot of power to run everything smoothly. In fact, the rechargeable battery will last you a whole year, which is a lot in terms of rechargeable anything. Also if you need to charge it, you can use a standard micro USB cable to top it up.
TSA Approval : The AirBolt Smart Lock is completely approved by TSA so you won’t face any sort of trouble while travelling via air. TSA already has a master key that will open the lock for them so you don’t even have to be physically present to open it for them.
Access Sharing: The smart lock offers access-sharing with friends or family. If you are sending locked stuff to someone else, all you need to do is configure the settings and give permissions by using the app and you are all set. Your packages will arrive at their destinations safely and securely.
Complete Log: The AirBolt Smart Lock is capable of informing you whenever the lock is opened, the duration for it was unlocked and where it was unlocked. This makes it super easy to track using GPS and you will have a complete log of when and where the lock was opened. Convenient right?
How much does AirBolt cost?
The AirBolt retails at a hard to beat the price of $78.99 on getairbolt.io and comes with a 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee & 1-Year Warranty. Better yet, if you buy 2 pieces, you get 1 free, and if you purchase 3, you get 2 free. Note though; this deal won’t last forever. For more information, head over to getairbolt.io.
AirBolt Smart Lock Review Conclusion
AirBolt was a successful Kickstarter project and reached 4 times of its original goal. AirBolt Smart Lock protects your luggage with a durable lock without the frustration of having to remember where you put your tiny padlock key, or the number combinations.
More than that, there is a smart, manual unlocking should your phone runs out of battery, or when the Bluetooth connection somehow gets flaky (my fiancee’s sister had this problem the other day where she could not open the LockSmart Travel from Dog & Bone with her phone app). Relying on a phone to unlock smart locks is one of the reason why I’m still afraid to use a smart lock for my luggage, but thanks to the manual unlocking option in AirBolt, I’m fully converted.
With long battery life, smart locking/unlocking mechanism, ability to share lock access, TSA-approved, and a built-in tracker, AirBolt is when security meets convenience in a nice package. I’m definitely going to use the AirBolt on my next overseas flight and beyond. AirBolt can also be used for storage lockers or boxes, which can then be shared to your colleagues, or people who can get access to the locked items.
AirBolt is available at Fone King in Cape Cod Grey colour for AU$119.95 – which is much more expensive than a traditional luggage padlock, but you’ll get what you are paying for. If you reside outside Australia, you can also get it from Amazon.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Never worry about TSA cutting or damaging your lock since the AirBolt is 100% TSA accepted. Not only does TSA allow this lock, but AirBolt also tracks when from TSA is going through your belongings and for how long your bags were searched. All of this information is available right in your AirBolt app.
Yes! All AirBolts come with a touchpad that allows you to lock and unlock your Airbolt using your unique combination – perfect for storing your belongings in your gym or work lockers.
Yes! Unlike other popular Smart luggage brands, which have already banned from Airplanes, AirBolt IS NOT banned and can travel anywhere with you… including the plane!
AirBolt does have a 30-day return policy if you aren’t satisfied with the product. However, you MUST unpair the AirBolt with your phone BEFORE it is returned. Because of our encryption standards, we will not be able to unregister or reset your AirBolt after it is paired it to your device – only YOU can do that. Your AirBolt must also contain all of its contents, undamaged and unscratched.
Charge your AirBolts with a basic Micro-USB cable. You can open your lock as soon as you plug it in, no waiting around for charging – plug it in and you’re good to go!
Yes. With the crowdsourcing feature, any time someone with their AirBolt app comes close to your AirBolt lock, you can see your locks last known location on the map within the AirBolt app.
Want to quickly find your luggage on the carousel in baggage claim? Just open the app on your phone and sound the chime on your AirBolt so you can quickly identify your bag, grab it and go!
With proximity alerts, you never have to worry about accidentally walking away from your baggage at a busy airport or worse, having someone run off with your valuables. Airbolt knows how far it is from your bags, so an alarm will sound when it gets too far.
The AirBolt will flash different colors depending on how you use it, so you know it’s working.
Here’s what the various colors signals mean:
1. One Blue Flash & Beep – A button was pressed.
2. Continuous Blue Flashing – AirBolt is connected to your phone and is awaiting further action on the app.
3. Multiple Quick Yellow Flashes – No response received from phone/no action is required.
4. 2 Green Flashes – AirBolt has been unlocked.
5. 3 Red Flashes – AirBolt has been locked.
6. Continuous Red Flashing – AirBolt is low on battery.
7. Continuous White Flashing – AirBolt is plugged in and charging.
8. Continuous White Flashing & Beep – AirBolt alarm has been activated.
Depending on your country, it is possible that you will be charged one or more of these fees when you receive your order.
We ship orders out FAST, but we can’t control carrier transit times. For orders outside the USA, please allow 7-12 business days for your order to arrive. Delivery times will vary based on country.
You, you can. The AirBolt and modern phones use Bluetooth 4.0 connection which allows them to be connected.
Yes. It is entirely free and can be downloaded from the Google Play Store and the iOS App Store.
When that happens, all you need to do is sign in to your companion app, and you can change a bunch of settings regarding privacy and security, which includes your back up button code.