Sometime last year, I reviewed the AirTV Mini Streaming Box and I used it with the Sling TV account and app and with an OTA antenna. I really enjoyed using it then and I still really like the ability to get OTA channels in HD especially when I experience issues with my pay Cable TV service and need to still have TV viewing for the kids and for me to watch the news. etc.
These types of devices have been advancing their technology and capabilities in an effort to provide consumers with truly acceptable options that would allow them to cut the cord. In this review, I am testing the AirTV Mini 4k Streaming Stick.
What is AirTV?
Like we have already mentioned earlier on in this article, the Air TV mini is a device you need to plug into your TV’s HDMI port to enable video and other streaming features. It works almost exactly like any other plug and play device. Through AirTV mini, you are able to add features like Netflix, Google Assistant, SlingTV as well as Android TV apps along the likes of Youtube and Chrome cast functionality to any television model.
What’s in the Box
- 1 x AirTV Mini 4k Streaming Stick
- 1 x Remote Control
- 1 x AC Adapter and Micro USB Cable
- 2 x AAA Batteries
- 1 x User Guide
AirTV Mini Specifications
- Connectivity: 802.11 b/g/n/a/ac 2.4G/5G 2T2R
- Memory: 2GB DDR4 RAM and 8GB eMMC Flash
- Graphics: ARM Mali-G31 MP2 GPU
- Power: DC Power Adapter 5V/1.0A
- Video Resolution: 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p, 1080i/p and 4Kx2K
- Connections: HDMI, HDMI CEC
- Digital Assistant: Built-in Google Assistant
- Wireless Video: Chromecast Built-in
- Video Compression: HDMI CEC, MPEG2/MPEG-4 H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC 4K UHD video decoding
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2
AirTV Mini Features
- One Platform, all your favorite shows, and movies: AirTV Mini integrates all your streaming services–Sling TV and Netflix–all in one place. And because AirTV Mini is supported by Android TV™, you also get instant access to a world of content and apps through Google Play.
- Beautiful 4K picture quality: It supports 1080p HD and 4K Ultra HD.
- Entertainment beyond TV: Discover apps, games, music and more from Google Play.
- One remote to rule them all: Say goodbye to juggling multiple remotes—the Bluetooth-connected AirTV Mini remote will control your AirTV Mini, your TV, and your sound system. And with voice integration and one-touch access to Netflix and Google, the AirTV Mini remote makes it easy to find the entertainment you’re looking for.
- Bluetooth integration: Compatible with most Bluetooth devices such as headphones, headsets and game controllers.
The AirTV Streaming Stick is a small, compact and simple looking dongle. On the surface there is the AirTv branding, at the end of the attached cable, there is an HDMI jack. On the other end of the dongle, there is a micro USB power input port.
I have several streaming boxes including the 4K Roku box and the 4K Fire Stick. When I first set up the AirTV Mini 4k Streaming Stick I was not expecting it to be much different than the others that I already own. However, I was wrong. It is quite different since it seamlessly integrates with the AirTV streaming box to add OTA channels to its guide. I think that if you are looking to cut the cord from pay cable TV this device is a great option and paired with the AirTV streaming box it is even a better choice.