Getting a paper shredder for office or home use is highly recommended. Documents that you want to dispose of are better shredded. This is an excellent way to avoid identity theft and protect yourself or your business. You obviously want to destroy documents like bank statements, tax slips, paychecks, and receipts.
These are documents with your personal information. Destroying them using a paper shredder guards your information and keeps you safe. However, finding quality and affordable paper shredder can be a daunting task. This is because of the wide array of paper shredders on the market.
Luckily for you, this is where we come in to help you select the best paper shredder possible. Our reviews look at the 10 leading paper shredders for the office or home use. You don’t want to risk buying a poor quality shredder as it will not destroy confidential documents properly. Below are our 10 best paper shredders on the market currently.
List of Best Paper Shredder
Last update on 2021-07-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Top Rated Paper Shredder – Reviewed
- Cross-cut shred size: turns paper into confetti-like pieces measuring 3/16 by 1-27/32 inches (5 by 47 mm); meets security level P-3 standards
- Sheet capacity: shreds up to 8 sheets of 20-pound bond paper at a time; also destroys credit cards (one at a time, through dedicated slot), staples or small paper clips
- Run time and thermal protection: 3 minutes on / 30 minutes off; if shredder runs continuously beyond the max run time, it will automatically shut off to protect the motor from overheating
- Shreds/cuts paper into 1/4-inch-wide strips at a rate of 9.84 feet per minute; meets security level P-2 standards
- Shred up to 8 sheets of 20-pound bond paper at a time (no need to remove staples or small paper clips); also destroys CDs, DVDs, and credit cards (one at a time, through dedicated slot; blades cut...
- Run time is 2 minutes on / 15 minutes off; if shredder runs continuously beyond the max run time, it will automatically shut off to protect the motor from overheating
- Crosscut paper and credit card shredder destroys your sensitive documents
- Shreds credit cards, paper clips and staples
- 8-sheet capacity
- High security micro-cut with 12 sheet capacities; destroys CDs, DVDs, credit cards and small paper clips
- Shreds paper, CDs, DVDs, credit cards into small pieces (5/32 by 15/32 inches), security level P-4
- Nonstop 60-minute continuous run time. Basket Capacity - 300
- Micro-cut shred size: turns paper into tiny confetti-like pieces measuring 5/32 by 15/32 inches (4 by 12 mm); meets high security level P-4 standards; shreds 6X smaller than standard cross-cut...
- Sheet capacity: shreds up to 8 sheets of 20-pound bond paper at a time (no need to remove staples or small paper clips); also destroys CDs, DVDs, and credit cards (one at a time, through dedicated...
- Run time and thermal protection: 5 minutes on / 30 minutes off; if shredder runs continuously beyond the max run time, it will automatically shut off to protect the motor from overheating
- Paper shredder helps you keep yourself safe from identity theft
- Shreds up to 8 sheets at once at 9.7 feet per minute
- Shreds CDs and credit cards as well
- Cross-cut Shredder: Home office shredder with 6-sheet capacity without removing staples, shreds paper into tiny pieces measuring 13/64 x 1-37/64 inches (5x40mm) in a short time.
- Overload And Overheat Protection：The Bonsaii Paper shredder will run continuously for 4 minutes before needing a 40-minute cool-down.
- High-Security P-3 Level: Shredder for home office which can destroy clips, staples, and credit card (one at a time), receipts, bills and important document. Maximize the security of your personal...
- Crosscut paper shredder with 10 sheets of shredding capacity (letter size, 75g/m²), shreds paper into tiny pieces measuring 13/64 x 1- 37/64 inches(5x40mm), destroys staples/credit cards(one at a...
- Easy operation with light-indication, overheat and overload protection to help you use the shredder machine without worrying and prolong its lifetime
- 5.5 gallons large wastebasket capacity, can hold up to 320 sheets of paper, no need to empty the bin frequently, visible basket window, conveniently see when it is full, no worry to be jammed
- Shreds 18 sheets of paper per pass into 397 (5/32” x 1-1/2” Security Level P-4) cross-cut particles; shreds staples, credit cards, paper clips, CDs/DVDs and junk mail
- Maximum run time: 30 min on / 40 min off. For 1-3 users. Amps: 5
- 100% Jam Proof System eliminates paper jams and powers through tough jobs
- P-4 High security level shredder provides with added security for sensitive documents; Shreds paper into 3/16 x 23/32 inches (5x18mm) size, guarding against the disclosure of personal and financial...
- Paper shredder for home meets the relevant product safety standards of ETL certification, it handles with papers, credit card, staples and clips to reduce the risk of identity theft
- Documents shredder with max 8-sheet of shredding capacity (letter size), can run continuously for 4-minute before overheating and with 30-minute cool-down time to protect the motor
Last update on 2021-07-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Paper Shredder Buyer’s Guide
Before purchasing a paper shredder, you need to have a clear understanding of the different factors related to its overall functionality that you need to consider. This guide will take you through the essential elements that a shredder should be equipped with, to help you make an informed decision.
First and foremost, you need to be clear about how often and how much you want to shred. This is an important factor because the shredder designs are engineered to accommodate a certain level of usage. For home use, you’ll find some light machines with a small document capacity. On the other hand, some of them are designed for heavy use and have advanced settings.
2. Security grades
Paper shredders generally offer you with six levels of security that helps to determine how the shredder will be destroying the material. The higher the security level, the more difficult it will be for identity thieves and potential frauds to piece together your shredded documents.
The duty cycle is another essential factor in a paper shredder that you need to consider. It indicates the maximum amount of time that the shredder motor can operate and cool down. This means that you can use the shredder for a certain amount of time before resting it.
Similarly, the run time differs from one unit to another. And the model that you select will depend on the quantity of paper that you need to shred and how frequently you’ll be using the appliance. For instance; the affordable and basic shredders can run for 5-10 minutes before taking a break, whereas the high-end, professional ones can go on for 30 minutes.
4. Sheet capacity
This is one of the primary factors that come to mind when you first start looking for a paper shredder. The sheet capacity helps to describe the total number of papers that a particular shredder can handle at once.
You’ll find basic machines easily accommodating around 3-6 papers on one go. And when it comes to the heavy-duty shredders, they can handle over 20 sheets.
Moreover, the higher the sheet capacity, the more efficient is the product. In general, shredders that are suitable for office purpose have an ability to shred somewhere between 20 and 30 A4-sized documents. But, if you want to shred a sizeable amount of papers, it’s best to consider the automated shredders that have a significantly large capacity.
5. Type of bins
The two types of standard bin designs in a shredder are the following:
- Bucket and Pull-out bins- can be easily removed from the shredder without having to disassemble the full unit. This feature makes it one of the most convenient models to operate, especially when you’re working with high volumes.
- Lift-off bins- comes with an attached or a lift-off head, that needs to be lifted for exposing the bin underneath. It works fine, and it’s generally found in the inexpensive shredders. But it’s not a very convenient option when you plan to shred a large pile of papers.
The storage drum, which is also known as the bin, is an effective and neat manner of collecting the shredded papers. Plus, shredders come with varying capacities of bins which help to determine the overall efficiency of the entire shredding process.
In the end, when you’ve got a shredder with a large bin capacity, you don’t have to worry about emptying the contents frequently. However, the security level also indicates the speed at which the bin is going to get filled because the longer strips consume more space.
7. Turnaround time
The turnaround time is the overall speed of the shredder, and to calculate the total speed, you need to use a simple formula. For the shredder score, you should multiply a few parameters such as- run time, sheet capacity, and feet per minute. This is a relevant measure for comparing different machines to work with high volumes of paper.
What is a paper shredder?
A shredder is a device that, as the name suggests, is used to make paper or other documents illegible. It is a useful machine not only for those who work with material containing sensitive data or confidential information, but also for those who intend to get rid of bills, bank statements, correspondence and other private documentation in a completely safe way.
Being a product that’s designed to perform this function in different contexts, there are different types of shredders available in different sizes.
Below we will examine the main types that can currently be found on the market, dividing them according to the technical characteristics and the type of technology they are equipped with.
In this way you will be able to evaluate in detail the differences between the document shredders on the market and make a choice as conscious as possible according to your needs.
Shredder Cut Options
- Strip-Cut Shredders
Strip-cut shredders do exactly what they endorse, cut the paper into long and thin strips. They are not feasible for highly confidential documents because the vertically cut long pieces are easy to reconstruct for information.
- Cross-Cut Shredders
This is quite popular to dispose of confidential documents and is a step ahead of strip-cut shredders in terms of security. They add a cross wide cut into the paper slicing it into very thin and short pieces. A cross-cut shredder like Bonsaii 18-Sheet cross-cut paper shredder is capable of slicing your one piece of paper into 400 shreds.
- Micro-Cut Shredders
These shredders are quite common for highly confidential documents. This shredder slices the documents into small, square-shaped particles. This makes them impossible to reconstruct.